Friday, July 30, 2010

Chip Again

I went to see Chip today. And believe me that was not on my agenda this morning. I had written him a note earlier in the week, sent him a little money and crossed him off my list. Done. Way to go, Dana. I pushed the thought of actually going down to the jail to the back of my mind - happily I might add.

Then something happened. I went to a lunch at First Baptist - a group of interested people were meeting to discuss homelessness in Tyler and I was "intererested", so I went. As I walked in I met Pat Mallory, a minister at FB. She's one of those warm southern women who have never met a stranger and she immediately asked for a hug. She started talking about her involvement with the homeless in Tyler. And then she started talking about Chip. Out of the blue.

She said, "I'm going over to see him right after this meeting." Huh? Really? I said, "Well I'd like to see him, but I'm not on his approved list." (Good excuse right?) "Well, you don't have to be on any list - do you want to come with me?"

I begged off - I AM busy, and you know I'd written that note and all. But as I sat in that meeting, I decided I wasn't THAT busy and thank you God for providing this nudge to do the right thing.

So we went. Visitation at the jail - well it's an experience. I'd been a "jail minister" when I attended Shiloh Road, so I'd been there. But that's been a long time ago. Lots of rules, lots of people, loud, hot and noisy. That pretty much describes it. We had to wait for an hour (I got to know Pat a little better) and then it was our turn.

The visitation room is long and narrow with plexiglass between you and the inmate. You talk through a grate and everyone is talking and yelling at the same time. Yes it is very loud in there. There are probably around 12 cubicles. Anyway there he was.

Same brown eyes, quiet, restrained and happy to see us. But sad. He wants me to find out about his little brother Malcom. He worries about him. He was glad to hear that our little church was concerned about him. He let me pray for him.

SO, please pray for Chip. I talked to a police officer earlier in the week, and she told me that he's been put in a side cell and is on suicide watch because of his violent behavior. I can't even imagine all the legal trouble he's in. But the spiritual battle that he faces is even more intense.

1 comment:

  1. Although I don't know Chip, I do know you and know that God is working through you. I'll keep Chip in my prayers also.

    ReplyDelete